I had the urge to read Dr. Maya Angelou’s life lessons throughout the years, and I couldn’t help but be overcome with feelings of hope and happiness. Life is always happening, and the moment we get comfortable — life throws us a curveball. Amidst the unknown, we must learn to overcome adversity and continue to live our true purpose. I gathered some of my favorite quotes from the Queen, and I hope you feel just as empowered as I do.
Dr. Maya Angelou’s Thoughts on:
On Following Your Dreams:
– My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive, and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.
– No amount of security is worth the suffering of a mediocre life chained to a routine that has killed your dreams.
– All great achievements require time.
– You want me to do something…tell me I can’t do it.
– Ask for what you want, and be prepared to get it.
– You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated.
– Life loves the person who dares to live it.
– Be present in all things and thankful for all things.
– In diversity there is beauty and there is strength.
– If you must look back, do so forgivingly. If you must look forward, do so prayerfully. However, the wisest thing you can do is be present in the present…gratefully.
– History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
– The real difficulty is to overcome how you think about yourself.
– You alone are enough. You have nothing to prove to anybody.
– Nothing can dim the light that shines from within.
– Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.
– A woman in harmony with her spirit is like a river flowing. She goes where she will without pretense and arrives at her destination prepared to be herself and only herself.
– We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.
– If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude.
– Forgiveness is the greatest gift you can give yourself.
– I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people.
– A wise woman wishes to be no one’s enemy; a wise woman refuses to be anyone’s victim.
– We are only as blind as we want to be.
– Still, like air, I rise.
I hope this week you overcome fear and go after your goals!
Thank you for reading!
Psssst! Are you on my newsletter where I share subscriber only early posts & inspiration?
Get on the list here <3